Teaching & Learning
Raising the bar and expecting more is hard work, particularly for students and teachers. Academics are at the core of Gulf Shores City Schools, with a goal of having each student achieve his or her full academic potential by the time they graduate. New standards mean new ways of teaching and learning, and ultimately harder tests. To help our families achieve a greater understanding of what these new standards mean, Gulf Shores City Schools provides fact sheets, frequently asked questions, and links to information about Alabama's College and Career Ready Standards.
As a four-year high school with academically diverse students, Gulf Shores High School provides a challenging range of courses and a rigorous college preparatory program. We are a community committed to fostering a safe and nurturing environment in which all students can achieve their greatest potential in every endeavor. We are dedicated to developing confident, well-rounded, life-long learners ready to become productive individual contributors and the leaders of tomorrow. GSHS provides courses and a rigorous college preparatory program for its academically diverse students. In a supportive environment that promotes respect and responsibility, students also develop through a rich performing and creative arts program and a wide variety of extracurricular and athletic activities.
Gulf Shores High School is dedicated to the promotion and achievement of academic excellence.
- Strive to create a secure and supportive environment which promotes the intellectual, emotional, and physical well-being of all members of the school community
- Celebrate diversity and encourage tolerance and respect for individual and cultural differences, …uphold the tenets of a democratic society
- Provide our students with experiences that enable them to make ethical choices and function in our ever-changing and technological world
- Foster the development of critical thinking, problem solving, creativity and love of learning
- Encourage the recognition of learning as a life-long process.
Gulf Shores High School will continue to cultivate these ideals and invites all members of the school community to share in this endeavor.
Gulf Shores City Schools are proud of their teachers and how they continue learning as they teach! Click here to view the Present and Future National Board Certified Teachers.
- Dream big
- Learn with intent
- Realize their own potential
- Enhance the lives of others
- Be inclusive, inventive and curious
- Continually transforming the way we teach and learn
- Exploring new ideas and approaches to learning
- Being rigorous with assessment and learning outcomes
- Being inventive in the way we teach
- Offering individualized learning paths
- Integrating technology in all that we do
- Fostering and celebrating diversity